A quick post in the middle of crit-work at Clarion. Here are my monthly stats for June:
- 6,200 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 5,000 words of workshop critique written this month (in the last three days, actually)
- 19 first drafts currently in progress (some untouched for a long time)
- 1 first drafts currently "ripening" before second draft.
- 2 second drafts currently in progress
- 0 second draft currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 3 third drafts currently in progress.
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 1 rewrite (at request of editor) currently in progress.
- 8 stories currently submitted to markets
- 1,400 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 8,700 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 1 offer of publication received this month. 2
- Longest current wait without response: 406 days.
1 Just like last month. But note the extra 5,000 words of crit I wrote for Clarion, starting on June 28.
2 I haven't announced this one yet, because we're still negotiating contract terms. I'll let y'all know as soon as I'm sure it's being published!
With 1,500 - 2,000 words of crit writing per day, it's hard to find time for the stories themselves. Still, I'm supposed to turn in one new story per week; so the July stats should be pretty impressive!
(Hopefully I'll post a first-week report of Clarion over the weekend...)