Here's my monthly tally for July:
- 21,900 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 14 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 3 first drafts currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 0 second drafts currently in progress
- 1 second draft currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 1 third draft currently in progress.
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 12 stories currently submitted to markets
- 60 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 14,000 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 3 offers of publication received this month. 4
1 Best month so far! ...Good thing, too, because with all my other obligations, I think August is going to be a lightweight month like March. (My best consecutive 30-day period, by the way, was June 20 - July 19, during which I wrote 24,300 words.)
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively. Of the fourteen mentioned here, I've actively touched only four during July. (Most of my writing was on stories that are now "ripening" first drafts, see below.)
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts.
4 I was invited to submit some additional drabbles to the Earlyworks Press Anthology; three of them will appear there.
Now, I really must get back to this conference paper...