- 12,100 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 11 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 2 first drafts currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 0 second drafts currently in progress
- 0 second drafts currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 1 third draft currently in progress.
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 9 stories currently submitted to markets
- 60 words in shortest story currently submitted. 4
- 14,000 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 1 offer of publication received this month. 5
1 Better than April, but still not so good as February. Nearly all of the new words in May were for the first draft of a new "mainstream" story, currently at 10,300 words and now in its "ripening" phase (see fn. 3, infra). About half of my time this month was absorbed in writing a second draft of a shorter story, and responding to comments on it.
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively.
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts.
4 The 60-word story was submitted to a drabble contest.
5 Technically this was a contest win, but it carried a cash prize and did include posting on a Web site.