- 12,300 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 12 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 3 first drafts currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 0 second drafts currently in progress
- 1 second draft currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 0 third drafts currently in progress.
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 14 stories currently submitted to markets
- 60 words in shortest story currently submitted. 4
- 14,000 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 0.75 offers of publication received this month. 5
1 About the same as May. I didn't do much new writing during the week I was at the Wesleyan Writers Conference.
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively.
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts.
4 The 60-word stories were submitted by invitation to an anthology (see fn. 5 and accompanying text).
5 Making the Short List in one online competition meant that my story appeared on their Web site (although not in their anthology); another competition invited me to submit additional stories to their anthology, although none of those submissions have actually been accepted yet.