Here is my personal fiction report for 2010:
I wrote 80,700 words of new fiction this year. This figure is a little misleading, because it doesn't include rewrite work. Still, it's worse than either 2009 or 2008.
- 10 first drafts
- 4 second drafts
- 4 third drafts
- 2 fourth drafts
I made 73 separate submissions of 23 stories to 30 markets. (7 of the stories, and 5 of the markets, involved reprints.)
Greatest number of submissions for a single story: 11
Greatest number of a submissions to a single market: 9
7 sales (including one unsolicited sale).
3 rewrite requests.
23 personal rejections.
29 form rejections.
Shortest response time: About 6 hours.
Longest response time: 392 days
6 stories appeared in print or online:
- "Liza's Home", in GUD Magazine
- "Conflagration", in The Newport Review
- "Lineage", in Clockwork Phoenix 3
- "The Whole Truth Witness", in Analog
- "Six Drabbles of Separation", in The Drabblecast
- "Tenure Track", in Cosmos Online
As of this moment, I have:
- 25 first drafts currently in progress.
- 10 first drafts currently "ripening" before second draft.
- 5 second drafts currently in progress
- 0 second drafts currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 5 third drafts currently in progress.
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 1 fourth draft in currently in progress.
- 7 stories currently submitted to markets (not counting reprints)
- Longest current wait without response: 299 days.