Here are my monthly stats for September
- 2,705 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 16 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 1 first draft currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 0 second drafts currently in progress
- 0 second drafts currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 3 third drafts currently in progress.4
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 7 stories currently submitted to markets
- 1,400 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 14,000 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 0 offers of publication received this month.
1 Officially my worst month since keeping records. I did to a lot of work on revisions (see below), but the only real new work was on some drabbles I did for an auction. Must do better this month.
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively.
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts. Two of the three drafts here are actually ready for revision into second drafts; I just haven't got around to them yet.
4 This is my real bottleneck. I've received comments on three stories in the last few months, and I'm finding it hard to do the required revisions. Don't know quite what's wrong with me.
Incidentally, my friend mmerriam (whose word count was only ten times mine this month), in his monthly report, counts rejections as well as offers of publication. He's braver than I am.