This year I'm going to start by mentioning stories I've read that I think would be good award candidates this year. I haven't done nearly as much reading this year as I'd like (especially at longer lengths), so I'm sure there are lots of wonderful things missing. But here goes:
- E. C. Ambrose, Elisha Magus
- James Cambias, A Darkling Sea
- Grady Hendrix, Horrorstör
- Nancy Kress, Yesterday's Kin
- Ken Liu, "The Regular" (Upgraded)
- N. K. Jemisin, "Stone Hunger" (Clarkesworld)
- Sam J. Miller, "We Are the Cloud" (Lightspeed)
- Helena Bell, "Married" (Upgraded)
- Adam-Troy Castro, "The Thing About Shapes to Come" (Lightspeed)
- Lara Elena Donnelly, "Chopin's Eyes" by Lara Elena Donnelly (Strange Horizons)
- Amal El-Mohtar, "The Lonely Sea in the Sky" (Lightspeed)
- Matthew Kressel, "The Meeker and the All-Seeing Eye" (Clarkesworld)
- Carmen Maria Machado, "Observations about Eggs from the Man Sitting Next to Me on a Flight from Chicago, Illinois to Cedar Rapids, Iowa" (Lightspeed)
- Shira Lipkin, "The Final Girl" (Strange Horizons)
- Ken Liu, "The Clockwork Soldier" (Clarkesworld)
- Usman Malik, "Resurrection Points" (Strange Horizons)
- Sarah Pinsker, "No Lonely Seafarer" (Lightspeed)
- Sofia Samatar, "How to Get Back to the Forest" (Lightspeed)
- Damien Angelica Walters, "The Serial Killer's Astronaut Daughter" (Strange Horizons)
- Alyssa Wong, "Santos de Sampaguitas" (Strange Horizons)
- I Remember the Future, (Klayton Stainer, dir, based on the story by Michael A. Burstein)
- Matt London,The 8th Continent.
Now for the sake of completeness, here are my own award-eligible stories from 2014:
- "Living in the Niche", Triptych Tales (December 1, 2014).
- "I Wrung It In a Weary Land", in "Drink Me", Podcastle #330 (September 27, 2014).
- "I is for...", A is for Apocalypse
- "Exceptionalism", The Law & the Heart
- "Grapple with Thee", The Law & the Heart
- "Half a Degree", The Law & the Heart
- "The Orpheus Fountain", The Law & the Heart
- "Levels of Observation", Mythic Delirium #0.3 (Jan-Mar, 2014).